City hosts the first ever Economic Development Summit
City Commission seeks public input
North Port Economic Development Summit
The members of the public are invited to participate at the upcoming Economic Development Summit :
Thursday February 16, 2017
Start time: 6:00 p.m.
Morgan Family Center
6207 West Price Boulevard
North Port, FL 34291
Please come prepared to comment on the draft ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ELEMENT which is a proposed new chapter to the City’s Comprehensive Plan. In addition, your thoughts and ideas are welcome on the importance of doing economic development in North Port, why it matters, what you and others are doing, what additional programs you/we can do, what can we do together to help improve the overall economic health of the city.
During the City Commission meeting held on December 13, 2016 City Mayor Linda Yates expressed her excitement at the prospect of hearing directly from the public and from various entities involved in the work of economic development, "this is a long time coming, and has been part of my vision to have the opportunity to get together and hearing so many positive things happening. This is going to be a great opportunity for everyone to engage and share their thoughts and also comment on the proposed Economic Development Element to the City's Comprehensive Plan."
Already the Summit is generating excitement as comments are starting to pour in through the City's Facebook post with ideas ranging from job generators to attracting more retail and recreation, as well as getting a hotel and a hospital to locate within the city. The chair of the Community and Economic Development Advisory Board, Nicholas Worden speaking on behalf of the advisory board expressed support for the summit, "we look forward to participating, this is where it all starts."
Here are some questions to consider as you prepare to attend the Summit:
- What is needed to make the City of North Port a truly successful and economically viable City?
- What are the competitive advantages of the City of North Port?
- What types of investments in city infrastructure would help create a setting where talented entrepreneurs and their businesses want to locate?
- How can the City of North Port serve new investors and businesses as clients to help them succeed?
- What cooperation is needed from surrounding communities and organizations to help the City of North Port reach its goals?
- What efforts should the City of North Port undertake to ensure that we integrate environmental advances to make our growth sustainable?
For your reference, you can access other pertinent documents that help shape this draft Element at this calendar item.
Economic Development Program Manager
City of North Port