Telling North Port's Story
Josh Taylor, Communications Manager/PIO
(941) 429-7333 office
(941) 429-7389 fax
Josh Taylor joined the city of North Port as the Public Information Officer in 2015. Josh was named the Communications Manager for the City in 2017. He currently heads all communications, social media, and tradition media relations for the City of North Port, North Port Police Department, and North Port Fire Rescue. Prior to joining the City's team, Josh was a news reporter and anchor with ABC 7 WWSB in Sarasota, Florida. Josh spent 13 years on-air with ABC 7. He is a graduate of the prestigious University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications.
With Josh’s help, the City of North Port has been recognized as one of the leading municipalities in the country for social media use. The accolades include the "Best Use of Facebook" by the 3CMA City-County Communications & Marketing Association. 3CMA has also recognized the City for their “Overall Social Media Strategy”. During Josh’s time the Government in Social Media organization has recognized the City of North Port and the North Port Police Department for having the “Best Social Media Policy” and the “Best Social Media Strategy for Solving Crime” in the Country.
About the Office
The Communications Division and the Public Information Officer are responsible for ensuring the public has every ability to gather information relating to North Port City government. This includes providing accurate and timely information through a number of platforms directly to the public and to media outlets.
Duties of this office include:
- Releasing accurate and timely information to the local media and the public;
- Responding to media inquiries in a timely manner to ensure stronger communication with the public;
- Oversight of the City of North Port's news content on its social media channels and website;
- Content creation for the City's many communication channels, including the City's social media sites and publications;
- During times of emergency, serving as the lead public information officer for the City.