Canine Club (map it)
6700 Appomattox Drive
- Leash free dog park
- Areas for both large and small dogs
- Water fountains
- Dog cooling stations
- Canine agility equipment
- Shade structures
Since opening in September 2010, the City’s paw park facility has become one of the City’s most popular destinations. Residents can bring their canine family members to frolic while they enjoy the spacious covered seating areas. The park is located on Appomattox Drive just west of the North Port Boulevard intersection.
The park includes decorative perimeter fencing, separate areas for large and small dogs (totaling 1 1/2 acres), shade structures, landscaping, a concrete roadway, 33 grass parking spaces, and restrooms.
As the Canine Club is built primarily for our furry friends, it offers some amenities created just for dogs. These include waste bag stations, agility equipment, and canine cooling stations.
Canine Club Guidelines
- This is an unsupervised facility. Use of the Canine Club is at the visitor’s own risk.
- The Canine Club is open from sunrise to sunset, Thursday through Tuesday, and from noon until sunset on Wednesdays for park maintenance. Park maintenance is performed on Wednesday mornings during which there is no access to the facility.
- Handlers are required to remove and dispose of their dog’s waste in the one site receptacles. Scoop the Poop. Bag It & Trash It!
- All dogs must be vaccinated and display current tags.
- The off-leash dog areas are for dogs and their handlers only. No other recreational activities are allowed within the fenced off area.
- Handlers must be at least 18 years old.
- Visitors under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Handlers may not bring more than three (3) dogs at any one time.
- Within the enclosure is leash free, though handlers must have one leash in their possession for every dog they bring to the park. Dogs must be on the leash when entering and exiting the enclosure, including while min the parking lot. Leashes are required to be under six feet in length.
- Any dog displaying aggressive behavior toward people or other dogs must immediately be removed from the park by its handler.
- Dogs in heat, pregnant or lactating are not allowed in the park.
- Puppies under four (4) months old are not permitted in the park.
- Handlers must fill any holes dug by their dog(s).
- Please use the appropriate area for your dog. The small dog area is for dogs under 20 pounds, the large dog area is for dogs larger than 20 pounds.
- No food is allowed for either people or dog(s). Glass drink containers are prohibited.
- Abandonment of dogs is prohibited and punishable by law.
- Owners and handlers are legally responsible for their dog(s) and should always keep within voice command range at all times.
- All incidents and injuries must be reported to the Parks & Recreation Division by calling 429-PARK (7275).