An event marketing and promotional plan is just as important as a parking plan, an emergency plan, and any other logistic related to the success of your event. You’ll spend hours working on logistics for a special event, but if you don’t have the right marketing and promotions behind it, no one will know to come.
By default, the City of North Port does not promote events that are hosted by private businesses, nonprofits, individuals, or organizations. In order for the City to promote an event, the event must be part of the Special Event Assistance Program approved by the City Commission each year.
Developing a Marketing Plan
Here are some basics on how to develop a marketing and promotions plan with some tips on getting the information in the public’s hands in Southwest Florida.
- Understand your target audience.
- Once you know your target audience, identify the media outlet that your target audience is most likely to get news from.
- Learn about the publications that you have identified. Understand their deadlines and their individual needs.
- Create a marketing toolkit to assist you with your marketing plan. (Collect photos, write descriptions (including a media release), create a calendar of social media posts.
- Get organized. Create a spreadsheet and calendar with associated deadlines, contacts, and other relevant information.
- Make it happen. Remember to have fun and think creatively.
As the largest city in Sarasota County, North Port is covered by several news media agencies. Local media resources are ideal methods to spread information about your event.
Visit Sarasota County also provides a free online calendar for events and activities.
Social Media, such as Facebook and Twitter, also offer opportunities for event promoters.