The City is searching for kids to join the North Port Youth Council
Children are our future, and oftentimes provide the best insight into our very own City’s future. The City is establishing a North Port Youth Council to help capture the ideas our local youth may have. The purpose of the NPYC is to provide the City Commission a youth perspective on issues that affect North Port and to provide youth an opportunity to be active and make a difference in their community. We’re looking from 7-11 kids to be on the board, all in 7th grade or higher. See below for more details on age requirements/schools/etc.
Fill out an application to get your kids involved today!
Requirements to be on the North Port Youth Council:
- Every student member shall attend school within the limits of the City of North Port for a period of one year prior to the appointment and shall remain a student through their term.
- Every student member must have completed 7th grade, be in middle school or high school, and be under the age of 20.
The City Commission is endeavoring to appoint members so that a diverse representation of the community is achieved. Members of the NPYC may include:
- One member representing North Port High School
- One member representing Imagine High School
- One member representing Heron Creek Middle School
- One member representing Woodland Middle School
- One member representing home schoolers
- Up to five at-large members who are residents of North Port
Objectives of the NPYC:
- To assist in planning and promoting programs and services for youth
- To educate and raise awareness of youth issues
- To inspire positive action in the community
- To provide a voice for youth in the community
- To promote youth participation in community affairs
- To act as an advocate for youth and teens
- To review those municipal matters referred to by the City Commission and, as appropriate, make recommendations on those matters
- To make recommendations to the City Commission pertaining to the composition, function and obligations of the NPYC
- To develop annual goals and objectives