City to Offer Drive-In Fireworks Show for Independence Day
The City of North Port invites the community to unite and enjoy a special Fireworks-only display for Independence Day. To adhere to CDC guidelines, the event plan for the annual Freedom Festival, presented by American Irrigation, has been amended to a drive-in fireworks show that will be launched from the North Port High School site used in previous years.
Attendees will be invited to park in the lots at North Port High School, Heron Creek Middle School, and at Butler Park. Parking will open at 8:00 p.m. to accommodate the 9:00 p.m. fireworks show start. Attendees can enjoy the music for the show on WKDW 97.5 FM. The display is expected to end around 9:30 p.m.
“We are very grateful that North Port High School worked with us on short notice to move the display launch area to their property. Additionally, we appreciate how gracious the Atlanta Braves have been as our hosts for the Freedom Festival and their flexibility during these challenging times. We look forward to collaborating with them in the future to host the Freedom Festival when we can again resume planning larger festival-type events,” said Laura Ansel, Marketing & Outreach Coordinator.
Although it is uncertain what physical distancing and sanitation protocols will still be in effect at that time, the following safety precautions are currently planned:
- Attendees will be asked to park in every other parking space
- No tailgating, alcohol, personal fireworks, or sparklers will be permitted
- The North Port High School stadium, and all green spaces surrounding the three parking areas, will remain closed to public gatherings
- The festival vendors and activities that encourage gathering will be canceled
- Restroom and handwashing facilities will be made available at all three parking lots
- Those who wish to view the fireworks display from home can view a livestream on the Parks & Recreation Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NorthPortParksandRec/
“Staff have worked quickly to adjust our event program for Independence Day and ensure we can still safely provide North Port with a fantastic fireworks show,” said Ansel. “While no one knows yet what the public health agency guidelines will be on July 4, staff are prepared to revise the event programming as necessary.”
More information about this event, including the traffic plan, will be shared as soon as possible. Please bookmark www.CityOfNorthPort.com/FreedomFestival, where the latest event information will be posted, or like and follow the City of North Port’s Parks & Recreation page on Facebook.