Classification Rating 1/1Y -- What Does It Mean?
The North Port, Florida Fire Rescue District successfully upgraded a Public Protection Classification Rating of 1/1Y following an inspection in the winter of 2014. Insurance providers are being notified by the Insurance Services Organization (ISO) and the rating will become effective December 1, 2014. The ISO rates departments on a 1-10 scale (1 = Best Public Protection, 10 = No Fire Recognized Protection).
The 1/1Y rating is very significant. This Class 1 rating places our fire department in the top 1% in the United States. Aside from the recognition that our organization is performing at the highest levels, businesses and residents may see a reduction in insurance rates.
One question your agent may ask is if you're within 1,000 feet of a fire hydrant. Please contact Utilities at (941) 240-8000 or Fire Rescue at (941) 240-8150 for this information.
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at (941) 240-8150. For questions regarding ISO ratings, please contact ISO at 1-800-888-4476, 1-800-444-4554 or visit their website by clicking on the ISO icon above.
- The City of North Port Fire Rescue District’s current ISO rating is a split 1/1Y designation. The following definitions may help you determine what classification your property may receive. Your insurance underwriter will make the final determination of what rating they will apply to your home/business and what premiums they charge policyholders.
• Class 1 - Your home is no more than five road miles from a fire station and there are City-supplied fire hydrants within 1,000 feet of your home.
• Class 1Y – Your home is within five road miles of a fire station and there are no hydrants but water supply can be provided from an alternate source. The North Port Fire Rescue District has qualified for the 1Y designation using its fire tanker in combination with its fire engines. (A pond or canal for drafting water is not required.)
- North Port Fire Rescue station locations:
Station 81, 4980 City Center Boulevard, North Port, FL 34286
Station 82, 5650 North Port Boulevard, North Port, FL 34287
Station 83, 3601 E. Price Boulevard, North Port, FL 34288
Station 84, 1350 Citizens Parkway, North Port, FL 34288
Station 85, 1308 N. Biscayne Drive, North Port, FL 34291
- The North Port Fire Rescue District has a standard response to all structure fires which consists of the following:
• Two (three for commercial) fire engines each carrying 1,000 gallons of water and 1,250 GPM pump
• One ladder truck with 75' aerial device, 500 gallons of water and 1,500 GPM pump
• One 3,000 gallon fire tanker with 1,000 GPM pump
• Two rescues/ambulances
• One supervisor vehicle
- Should additional firefighting equipment or additional water source/supply be necessary, the Fire District has:
• Two additional fire engines, each with 1,000 gallons of water
• Mutual aid agreements with area fire departments for additional resources