The leaders of tomorrow, assisting law enforcement today.
The Mission Statement
The mission of the North Port Police Department Explorer Post 94 is to provide a positive relationship between Police Officers and Youth who wish to learn about a career in Law Enforcement. The North Port Police Explorers will not discriminate against any race, creed religion or gender. The Police Explorers will be required to be upstanding citizens within the community who maintain good grades, complete community volunteer hours, and have a desire to enter into law enforcement as a career.
As part of the commitment to the community, the Police Explorer must take part in our community service program. The explorers volunteer at over 20 city events throughout the year.
The Explorer program during classroom instruction learns about Florida State Criminal and Traffic Laws.
Explorers learn how to investigate crimes such as car crashes, traffic stops, search and arrests, building searches, First Aid/CPR, domestic crisis intervention, and in-progress calls for service. The explorer is also exposed to Taser and OC spray training.
We have our own Honor Guard team that participates in City Events throughout the year. As future Police Officers, we learn that it is an honor to serve our country and presenting our Nation's Flag.
Ride Along Program
Provides the Explorer (after becoming ride-a-long certified) with firsthand knowledge of basic police procedures, by supplementing classroom training through observation and communication with police officers and civilian employees during their performances of patrol functions.
- Be at least (14) years of age and not over (20) at the time of becoming a member.
- Must Maintain at least a “C” average and be enrolled in an accredited education institution until high school graduation or equivalent thereof.
- Each new explorer will have to pass a selection process which will include an oral interview and a background investigation.
- Once the prospective Explorer has turned in an application, the prospective explorer will go before an oral board consisting of advisers and post officers. At that time a vote into membership will be taken.
- The explorer will be on probation for a period of 90 days upon successful completion of testing requirements.
- The explorer post meets once a week for 3 hours and each explorer explorer is required to maintain a high attendance rating.