Recycling is mandatory in the City of North Port. Our Recycling Program provides two recycling totes, one for paper products and one for commingled glass, plastic, and cans. Collection between the two totes will rotate each week. One week we’ll collect material from the tote with a blue commingle lid, the next week we’ll collect material from the tote with the tan paper lid. The latest collection calendar is posted above. You can also sign up for collection reminders on our Recycle Coach app here. The app provides a customized schedule for garbage, recycling and yard waste collection. You can also set reminders so you never miss a collection day!
Tan Lid Tote (Paper Products)
Cardboard – flatten and cut down to fit in tote. If you have large amounts, call Customer Service for a larger or additional recycling tote.
Pizza boxes - flatten, remove liner and food.
Paper/Paperboard – newspapers, computer paper, brown paper bags, magazines, catalogs, brochures, mail and telephone books. Cereal, cracker and other food boxes (remove liners), soda cartons, shoe boxes, tissue containers, paper towel rolls and gift boxes.
*Shredded paper is not accepted and can be placed in the garbage.
Blue Lid Tote (Commingle)
Shredded paper is not accepted.
Glass – rinsed food and beverage containers.
Cans - rinsed out steel, tin and aluminum. Empty aerosol cans, drink boxes and milk/juice cartons.
Others - Empty aerosol cans, drink boxes, milk/juice cartons and rinsed out aluminum foil trays.
Items NOT accepted include: Styrofoam, #6 plastics, plastic bags, plastic toys, dishes, un-numbered plastics, window glass, glassware, empty chemical containers, plastic film, ceramics, mirrors.
Other Recyclable Items
Call Public Works at 941-240-8050 to schedule these items for collection.
Motor Oil - pour in a one gallon or less size container that has a screw-top lid, write "used motor oil" on the container.
Batteries - automotive, marine and farm grade batteries are recyclable. Place them next to your recycling tote. *Single Use non-rechargeable AA or AAA batteries can be placed in the garbage.
Rechargeable Batteries - can be placed in a bag next to your recycling tote.
Computer Hard Drives, Tablets and Cell Phones - can be recycled as Electronic Waste along with your rechargeable batteries. Remember to terminate your service and erase your personal data. If your phone has a SIM card, remove it.
Avoid Recycling Contamination
Contaminants are items placed in the recycling stream that are not recyclable. When recycling is not done correctly it negatively affects the environment and our City financially.
The following items are NOT accepted in our recycling program:
- Plastic bags and film - Please take plastic bags back to the grocery store. They will recycle them. Do not place recyclable items in plastic bags or garbage bags. Empty material in the recycling tote.
- Un-numbered plastics, or #6 plastics - look for the triangle, usually found on the bottom of the item. The number inside the triangle should read 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 7. Any other number (or no number at all) is not accepted. Remember: When in doubt, throw it out.
- Styrofoam - most Styrofoam is #6 and not recyclable. Take Styrofoam trays and egg cartons to the supermarket. Many of the local pack and ship companies will take Styrofoam packing peanuts. Please remember that Styrofoam is typically very light. To prevent Styrofoam from spilling out, place it in a bag and seal it before placing it in your garbage.
- Shredded paper - it is considered garbage.
- Window glass, ceramic glass or mirrors. Household glassware can be placed with your regular household garbage.
- Plastic toys, tarps and microwaveable containers
- Empty pesticide, herbicide, auto fluids and paint containers
- Single Use Batteries can be placed in your garbage
- Coated cardboard signs used for elections, yard sales, etc.
Where do I place my tote?
North Port uses one side of the street garbage and recycling collection which reduces costs and carbon emissions. You may need to place your garbage or recycling container across the street for collection or your neighbor may need to place their garbage or recycling container on your side of the street. Call Customer Service at 941-240-8050 if you’re unsure of where you should place your container. Yard waste and bulk waste should remain in front of your home.
- Place totes curbside by 7:00am on your collection day with arrows facing toward the street and 5 feet away from other objects (fences, cars, mailboxes, utility poles, trees, etc). If your container is set out after the 7:00am deadline, we cannot guarantee the collection of your garbage.
- Do not place totes curbside before 6:00pm the night before your collection day. All containers must be stored in your garage, side or back yard and not in the front yard. Emptied containers should be returned to the proper storage no later than 10:00pm on your collection day.
- The container should be placed three to seven feet from the edge of the street or if possible, on the driveway. The automated arm of the truck needs to extend several feet outward from the truck. When the container is positioned too close to the edge of the street, the garbage truck must stop in the middle of the street, where it will block traffic. Also, do not place the automated container in the middle of your bulk debris. It will not be emptied.
- Tote missing or damaged? Call Public Works at 941-240-8050 to schedule a replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions