Expired or unwanted prescriptions should never be flushed down the toilet or a drain. Residents can drop off expired/unwanted medication in the disposal box at the North Port Police Department.
Residents can also place them in the garbage by following these Florida state guidelines:
- Keep medicine in original container. This will help identify the contents if they are accidentally ingested.
- Mark out your name and prescription number for safety.
- For pills: add some water or soda to start dissolving them; For liquids: add something inedible like cat litter, dirt or cayenne pepper.
- Close the lid and secure with duct or packing tape.
- Place the bottle inside a non see-through container like a coffee can or plastic laundry bottle.
- Hide the container in the trash. Do not put in the recycling bin.
Never place hypodermic needles in garbage or recycling containers. The City of North Port Fire Department offers a medical sharps exchange program at no cost. Call 941-240-8150 for more information.