Garbage is collected once per week. All garbage must be placed in a City issued garbage tote. Bag loose garbage before placing it in your garbage tote. Container lids must be closed and please remove bungee cords.
Please remember that each container has a serial number on it which indicates that the container is registered to only one address. The container should not be removed by anyone other than a Solid Waste employee.
- Existing single or duplex home: You should already have a large green garbage tote. If there is no tote or if you need additional totes, please call Public Works at 941-240-8050 for assistance.
- Newly constructed home: Call Public Works at 941-240-8050 to let us know about your new home. We will deliver your totes on your next collection day.
Have extra garbage?
Additional garbage totes are available for a $100 one-time lease fee and must have a current fiscal year disposal sticker displayed. Disposal stickers are $60/year and run Oct 1 – Sept 30.
Bulk Waste: Call Public Works at 941-240-8050 to schedule a bulk pick up for your next collection day. Bulk waste is material that does not fit in your garbage tote with the lid closed, exceeds the container’s maximum 200 lb weight limit or does not meet the yard waste guidelines. Bulk includes appliances, TVs, furniture, mattresses and other unwanted household items. Each residence is offered two free bulk pick ups per fiscal year (Oct 1-Sept 30), with a limit of 5 cubic yards (about 5’ x 5’ x 5’) each. Additional pick ups are available for a fee.
Where do I place my tote?
North Port uses one side of the street garbage and recycling collection which reduces costs and carbon emissions. You may need to place your garbage or recycling container across the street for collection or your neighbor may need to place their garbage or recycling container on your side of the street. Call Customer Service at 941-240-8050 if you’re unsure of where you should place your container. Yard waste and bulk waste should remain in front of your home.
- Place totes curbside by 7:00am on your collection day with arrows facing toward the street and 5 feet away from other objects (fences, cars, mailboxes, utility poles, trees, etc). If your container is set out after the 7:00am deadline, we cannot guarantee the collection of your garbage.
- Do not place totes curbside before 6:00pm the night before your collection day. All containers must be stored in your garage, side or back yard and not in the front yard. Emptied containers should be returned to the proper storage no later than 10:00pm on your collection day.
- The container should be placed three to seven feet from the edge of the street or if possible, on the driveway. The automated arm of the truck needs to extend several feet outward from the truck. When the container is positioned too close to the edge of the street, the garbage truck must stop in the middle of the street, where it will block traffic. Also, do not place the automated container in the middle of your bulk debris. It will not be emptied.
- Tote missing or damaged? Call Public Works at 941-240-8050 to schedule a replacement.
Material NOT accepted for garbage
- Construction & demolition debris
- Household hazardous wastes
- Flammable substances
- Medical waste
- Yard waste
- Grass clippings
- Radioactive materials.
DO NOT PLACE YARD WASTE OR RECYCLABLE MATERIAL IN YOUR GARBAGE. Per Ordinance 132-19; Sec. 62-63: All generators of recyclable materials and yard waste within the City shall separate their recyclable materials and yard waste from all other solid waste prior to disposal. Solid waste containing recyclable materials or yard waste will not be collected by the City for disposal.
Holiday Collection Schedule Changes
Solid Waste does not provide collection service on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day.
When these holidays fall during the week, collection will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week. Solid Waste collects on all other holidays.
Household hazardous wastes and chemicals cannot be placed in the garbage. They can lead to toxic fumes, fires, collection delays and injuries to our Solid Waste staff. These kinds of accidents occur when a garbage truck compresses the garbage, causing collected materials to mix and react together. Please consider the safety of City workers and their equipment.
Hazardous items include:
- Pool chemicals
- Automotive products
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Paint Solvents
- Adhesives & glues
- Household fire extinguishers
- Propane cylinders (BBQ size)
You can dispose of hazardous waste at the South Sarasota County Chemical Collection Center at the Jackson Road Transfer Station. The Center is located at 250 S. Jackson Road, Venice, FL.
The Collection Center is open Wednesday - Saturday from 8:00am - 4:00pm. They are closed Government Holidays. For more information call Sarasota County at 941-861-5000.