About the Program
The City's annual Home for the Holidays Program provides a way to connect qualified North Port families with organizations, businesses, and individuals who want to help during the holiday season.
The program has an Adopt-n-Shop program that provides the opportunity for income eligible families to be adopted. The Senior Giving Tree program is designed to assist local seniors during the holiday season by providing them a holiday luncheon.
All families enrolled in the program must receive public assistance or prove they are experiencing a financial hardship during the holidays. They also must be North Port residents. Registration is required.
How can families register for Adopt-n-Shop?
From Oct. 1-31, 2018, families can register for the Adopt-n-Shop program by either calling or visiting the Social Services Division offices between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office can be reached at (941) 429-3700 or found on the second floor of the Family Service Center, 6919 Outreach Way.
There will be no extensions, so it is important that families apply during this timeframe.
How can seniors register for the Senior Giving Tree?
The Senior Giving Tree is a new program designed to provide a holiday experience for seniors ages 60 and above. Seniors must be North Port residents and must show proof with a valid ID. To register, visit the North Port Senior Center or the Senior Friendship Center at 4940 Pan American Blvd, North Port, FL 34287.
The North Port Senior Center is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon on Friday. The Senior Friendship Center is open 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Space in the program is limited. Registration is available Oct. 1-31, 2018 until the program is filled.
How can I get involved?
There are several opportunities for businesses, organizations, and individuals to make a difference through the Home for the Holidays Program.
Here are some ideas:
- Donate to the City's annual 12 Days of Giving Food Drive. Each year, the City of North Port offers a food drive during the holiday season. This typically takes place during the first two weeks after Thanksgiving. The food is delivered to a local food pantry.
- Participate in the Adopt-n-Shop or Senior Giving Tree program. Adopt a family through the City's Social Services Division or donate to the Senior Giving Tree luncheon.
- Donate a gift card . Gift cards are welcome from any store. The Social Services Division will make sure that your gift card donation is provided to a family that needs it most.
- Donate cash (or check). With a cash donation, you can provide the Social Services Division instructions on the way you would like the funding to be used. Not sure how to use it? They City will find the best way to use it to make sure that it assists families during the holidays.
- Volunteer. Volunteers are needed for all of the holiday events.
About the Adopt-n-Shop Program
Adopting a family is one of the most rewarding ways to make a difference during the holiday season. Families who are registered through the Home for the Holidays Program can select to be adopted by individuals, organizations, or businesses. Their information - including names, children's names and ages, gift preferences, and more - is provided to the adopter. Adopters then go shopping, wrap gifts, and supply goods (sometimes even food) to their adoptees.
Adopt as many families as you would like. This is a great exercise for businesses and nonprofits who want to get their employees involved in making a difference. Families can adopt other families.
About the Senior Giving Tree
Through the Social Services Division's new Senior Giving Tree program, individuals, businesses, and organizations can donate to a luncheon designed to provide local seniors a holiday experience. The luncheon will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, December 13, 2018 at the North Port Community Education Center. Contact the Social Services Division to learn what donations are needed.
For more information about the Home for the Holidays Program, contact the City's Social Services Division at (941) 429-3700.